As promised, here is the recipe for the quinoa I so raved about in my last post. This is one of my new favorites to make because it's just the perfect amount of spice and it's very filling, but healthy at the same time.
I absolutely adore cooking and experimenting with different kinds of food and recipes to make them my own, so it's pretty rare that I measure - especially with seasonings. I definitely don't make it a science. If you decide to try this one out you will find that you don't need to be a master chef to master this one. It's easy and oh so delicious!
What you need:
- 1 tbsp. of olive oil
- 1 small onion
- 1 red pepper (optional)
- 3/4 cup of white quinoa (rinse first)
- 1 1/2 cups of chicken or vegetable broth
- Cayenne Pepper
- 1 can of black beans
-3/4 cup of corn (I used frozen)
- Handful of cilantro
- 3/4 cup of medium salsa (optional or in place of cilantro)
1. Saute 1 small onion in olive oil until translucent. Add a red pepper if you desire.
2. Add 3/4 cup of rinsed quinoa and 1 1/2 cups of your broth.
3. Add seasonings - salt, pepper, cumin and cayenne pepper - I don't measure, but add enough to flavor sufficiently. I am very generous with the cumin.
4. Bring to a boil then cover, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes
5. Add black beans (rinse first), corn, and cilantro and heat through. If you don't have cilantro you can add salsa instead. I add salsa in addition to the cilantro as I like a little spice.
6.Taste and see if more seasoning is needed and buddaboom you are finished...now see how easy that was!! Enjoy:)
There you have it! Happy cooking and see you later on tonight with my regularly scheduled post:)